FEWS NET/Chemonics seeks a Database/GIS Specialist to provide support to the FEWS NET Data Warehouse Team as part of the Knowledge Management and Learning Group. The Database/GIS Specialist will assist with the research, mining, validation, and formatting of datasets for FDW upload. In addition, the Database/GIS Specialist will assist in the spatial and geographic coding of data, GIS shapefile management, and documenting sub-national boundary changes over time. The individual will also support ad-hoc thematic mapping requests and other data processing tasks.
This is a full-time position based at the FEWS NET Home Office in Washington, DC. The Database/GIS Specialist will work under the direct supervision of the FEWS NET Data Management lead, and will receive technical guidance and tasks from the GIS Specialist. S/He will also collaborate with the Washington-based technical and management teams and technical staff in FEWS NET country offices.
The main responsibilities of this position will include:
Data research, cleaning, and processing (45% of time)
- Conduct data extraction from unstructured source documents such as PDF documents, Excel sheets, and OCR format and prepare and process the data into a predefined format for FDW upload
- Identify data irregularities and inconsistencies in source documents and processed datasets, and document irregularities
- Follow data processing, cleaning, submission, and archiving procedures for FDW data delivery and upload
- Perform desk research on current and historical data related to FEWS NET database domains for FEWS NET countries and other countries of interest
GIS data management and geocoding (40% of time)
- Perform desk research on administration boundary changes in FEWS NET countries
- Locate and identify current and historical shapefiles for FEWS NET countries, and ensure that shapefiles have proper topology and are fitted to the FAO GAUL Admin0 (national) boundaries
- Assign FEWS NET IDs (FNIDs) to shapefiles
- Produce tables and flow charts documenting changes in administration boundaries over time, for upload to the FDW
Ad hoc mapping and project data support (15% of time)
- Support ad-hoc requests for thematic maps and other data visualization products
- Provide additional data processing/data management tasks across the project, as needed
Apply through the Chemonics Career Center at https://chk.tbe.taleo.net/chk05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CHEMONICS&cws=1&rid=2255 by December 23, 2017. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics seeks a nutrition advisor to support the USAID‐funded Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET). The current phase of FEWS NET focuses on nutrition and health issues, in particular, how a better understanding of these issues can improve the project's food security analysis and early warning. FEWS NET seeks a highly qualified and motivated nutrition advisor to lead this aspect of the project. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
The nutrition advisor will be based in Washington, DC and the advisor will provide direct technical supervision to two regionally based nutrition specialists in Niamey, Niger and Nairobi, Kenya, and two national nutrition officers in Nigeria and Afghanistan. The advisor will report to the FEWS NET Deputy Chief of Party.
• Provide technical guidance on the inclusion and use of health and nutrition information in food security monitoring, assessments, and analysis, including scenario building and integrated food security phase classification (IPC)
• Oversee the development and maintenance of a database of nutrition and health survey data for each of FEWS NET's presence countries;
• Oversee the development of nutrition context documents for select FEWS NET countries;
• Conduct nutrition causal analysis (NCA) studies to understand the causes of undernutrition in different contexts;
• Provide technical guidance on the implementation of food security and nutrition (e.g. SMART) surveys and assessments;
• Actively contribute to the IPC nutrition technical working group
• Facilitate nutrition trainings to FEWS NET staff and external partners;
• Manage, coordinate, and support two regional nutrition specialists and two national nutrition officers for the project;
• Promote and support collaboration with local, regional, and international partners in health and nutrition-related activities
• Propose innovative initiatives and tools that will contribute to early warning;
• Provide guidance to the development and refinement of the approach to health and nutrition related methods and products
• Promote and support collaboration with local, regional, and international partners in health and nutrition‐related activities
• Provide input to and participation in the preparation and dissemination of decision‐support products, including monthly reports, special reports, alerts, and briefings
• Collaborate with FEWS NET implementation partners in carrying out project activities
• Support the development and strengthening of global partners and food security systems
• Ensure that there is efficiency and effectiveness in the management and compliance of the contractual requirements
Apply through the Chemonics Career Center at https://chk.tbe.taleo.net/chk05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CHEMONICS&cws=1&rid=1516 No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.